Friday, April 15, 2011

A New Adventure

We are in the new house in Marble Falls, Texas. It is cozy and we have neighbors, but there is a dense forest across the street. There are also peacocks nearby. I can hear them calling in the early evening. I will introduce myself to my neighbors soon and ask if I can photograph their pets. It's been many years since I've seen a peacock.

There is a lizard who lives in the backyard. He is big and friendly, the type that resembles an alligator. He likes to sit on the side of the tree near the back door and bask in the sunlight.

There is also a family of squirrels living nearby. A mother and four babies. There is a large, dead tree in the middle of the backyard and the squirrel family sits at the top of the tree in the morning and early evening. The babies like to chew on the bark and the mother sometimes reaches her paw around their backs to keep them from tumbling from the branches. They are very affectionate. Sometimes, the babies will scramble up to their mother to touch noses as if they are giving her a kiss. I have corn cobs and little cups of sunflower seeds on two of the trees, but they only pick at the food. The squirrels at my last house would sit at the sunflower seeds and eat until every last seed was gone!

I've also hung two hummingbird feeders and we have nonstop action with the birds. I've photographed hummingbirds with violet-colored throats, gold backs, green backs, white throats, and so many more. There is a tiny, gray hummingbird that likes to chatter before she lands on the feeder to eat as if she's warning me that she's coming in for a landing! I just added another feeder, but the birds don't seem to like it as much. They prefer to wait in line on the tree branches and take turns at the feeder by the back door.

There is a large, beautiful cardinal that sits on my bedroom windowsill in the mornings. In cardinal flocks, the largest and brightest male is the leader. He usually eats first, and has the best choice of food, which explains his bright coat and large size. This particular male, though, has a large mate, as well. She is the biggest, brightest female cardinal I have ever seen. He prefers to sit on my windowsill, but he watches me through the window and the second I reach for my camera, he disappears. She has hopped onto the backyard table or the backs of the chairs when I was standing only a few feet away, but she also disappears as soon as my hand starts to focus the camera. They are sensitive to the slightest movements. I plan to hide behind the back fence for awhile one of these mornings and photograph the couple when they're not looking.

There are so many amazing little creatures stopping by to visit. I never would have imagined that I would be so blessed to see such great beauty.

No comments: